Thursday, March 04, 2010

Chilena de Corazon

Mi querido Chile. Te amo con todo mi corazón. Siempre estarás conmigo...

My heart is very heavy as of late.

Last Saturday, on February 27th at 6am, I was awakened by a notification on my phone. It was an email from a mission alumni letting us know about a devastating earthquake that hit our beloved Chile. It registered an 8.8 on the Richter Scale. With my heart in my throat, I immediately leapt out of bed and got online to see if I could get in contact with any of my friends. The most horrible thing is that this earthquake struck MY MISSION. The areas that I used to live in, the streets I used to walk every day. The people who took such amazing care of me and showed me such warmth, friendship and love were victims. They have no homes, no food, no water. Thankfully, I have been able to receive emails or messages from 75% of them. All of the members I know are fine. Their faith in the gospel keeps them strong. Every single one of the missionaries currently serving are safe and accounted for. I knew the Lord would protect them! They will be able to help the people in their areas.

The news is not portraying anything positive, of course. There is devastation everywhere.
People are looting stores for food and other items. My friends are afraid to venture outside due to the thugs and robbers. I don't know how they will recover, but recover they will! Chileans are a strong people.

Tears fill my eyes everytime I see pictures of the disaster left in the wake of the earthquake and the tsunami. Chile has been a part of me and in my blood ever since my feet touched ground there in January of 2002. It is my second home. I want to be there so badly to help them out. I feel so helpless and useless. Pray and fast. That's all I can do for now. It will have to be enough.

My plans to go down there in September will be put on hold indefinitely. I hate not having sufficient funds nor a job where I can just take off whenever I want. I would be down there right at this very moment if I could. I've heard that the Chilean community in UT is putting together a fundraiser to donate to the Teleton in Chile. I wonder if there's a way I could donate? Hmmm...I'll have to look into it.

¡Fuerza mi Chile! ¡Arriba el ánimo! ¡Triunfaremos!

No comments: