Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Drew,

It's been 7 years today since you left us. It's hard to believe. Most days are better than others. The terrible, aching pain has subsided with the passage of time, but the emptiness, the awful emptiness will never go away 'til we are all reunited with you again. I still say I have 5 brothers and 1 sister because I do. Just because you aren't here doesn't mean you stopped being a part of my life. I miss you so much! The sadness hits me at random times. Strangely, it's not on your birthday or even today which would be more obvious and make sense. No, it's the common everdays when I'd love to just see you walk in the door, your loud, boisterous voice proclaiming your arrival. Or, me half-expect to have you moon me as you leave the bathroom after a shower. Or when I hold one of our nephews. It's mostly when I'm driving alone in my car. Especially, when I drive to Denham Springs a trip we made quite frequently in the months before your death.

I miss your dazzling smile and how your eyes crinkled up so you could barely see them. Your laughter still echoes in my ears when I watch Oklahoma! or The Cowboy Way. I can't help but smile and crank up the radio whenever I hear Nelly, Chris Ledoux or The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. I am reminded of you everytime I see a squirrel. Heh. Or when I see your other half, Dave. I think of how much you'd have loved his kids.

Funny thing, I know you would have LOVED the tv show Scrubs. I can just picture us sitting on the couch laughing at JD, Turk and Dr. Cox's antics. It's random things like that which bring on the bittersweet aches. I wish you were here, but I know it is all part of Heavenly Father's divine plan that you go on ahead of us. I know you're there with PawPaw and Granddad. I can only imagine how they've taken to the gospel. I can imagine the joy it is to have them with you. I wish it didn't hurt so much to be stuck here on this earth without you.

I am so lucky to have had you in my life for 19 years. Thank goodness for the memories! I can only look forward to that blessed, joyous day when we'll all be united once more! I will strive every day to be worthy of that reunion. I miss you. I love you. Always.

Your big sister,

Jen

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You made me cry, Jen. We all miss him. My heart is with you and your family today. Emailing you.