Monday, August 11, 2008

'Cause everyone's your friend in New York City

This is long overdue...


My eagerly anticipated trip to New York City was fast and jam packed. I woke up at 3am on Wednesday, showered, got ready and left my house at 4:30am. I met Lei Lei at work at 4:45am and we were shuttled to the airport. Our flight left at 7am and we arrived at 11am at the JFK airport. We were met by a car service(very nice) that took us to the first Equinox Fitness Club site which was in lower Manhattan. We then schlepped 12 blocks with our cumbersome backpacks to the next site. Then, we took a big yellow taxi to the 3rd site and walked to the 4th site. Fortune smiled on us and the 4th site happened to be located in Grand Central Station. That building is so cool. The interior was beautiful. After that, we caught a taxi to our hotel where Lei Lei rested and I crashed for a bit and then we got ready for dinner. Our hotel was the Chelsea Savoy which despite its name was nothing more than a glorified Holiday Inn. Still, it was in a safe neighborhood and the beds were clean. We ate at a nice little restaurant called Porter's which specialized in Mediterranean cuisine. First, we enjoyed an appetizer of coconut shrimp with a mango papaya dipping sauce. After that, I ate a spinach salad with green apple, melon, and walnut covered in a vinaigrette. It was delish! Finallly, my entrée was pasta primavera. Everything was from scratch. Yum! After leaving the restaurant we stopped by a little café and bought two slices of New York cheesecake to eat for a midnight snack. It.was.to.die.for. We then retired to our hotel room and chilled out. We stayed up a bit late and gabbed. It was fun. Lei Lei's pretty cool even though we don't have too much in common.


The next day we woke up around 8am and got ready to tour mid Manhattan. We caught a taxi and were dropped off at Radio City Music Hall. We then went to see St. Patrick's Cathedral which is gorgeous. The interior has gorgeous stained glass windows and the outside is a phenomenal demonstration of architectual achievment. After that we walked further up 5th Avenue and went to FAO Schwarz for a bit. It's seriously one of the coolest toy stores I've ever been in. Our next stop was Tiffany and Company! Oh, the diamonds! Too bad I couldn't get a gumball machine ring engraved there! I felt pretty cool walking in Audrey's footsteps.


I saw many more beautiful buildings such as the Crown building and the Chrysler Building, but then we decided to head towards Times Square. We walked two blocks east and then ten blocks south on 7th Avenue. I couldn't help but have the lyrics to Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer" in my head as I walked. Actually, practically everywhere I walked or looked reminded me of a Simon and Garfunkel song. What fun! Anyway, down, down down 7th Avenue we went until finally we ended up in Times Square. What a sight to see even in broad daylight! I took several shots of the famous buildings and even was lucky enough at one point to take a shot of the street signs to 42nd Street and Times Square! Anything that reminded me of a beloved movie or song I took a picture of. The street signs reminded me of one of my favorite old movies 42 Street. Too bad I didn't get to make it to Broadway. I guess I'll save that along with many more sites for the next time I come to New York City. On a side note: there are TONS of gorgeous guys in Manhattan. Wow. Nice eye candy. I quite enjoyed the view. Who wouldn't??

We then fought for yet another taxi and made our way back to our hotel to meet our driver. He took us to the airport and I took one last look at the city I was lucky enough to get to experience. I vowed to come back someday soon! We ate at Cheeburger Cheeburger in JFK. It was alright. Then we boarded and sat on the tarmac for 30 minutes due to a delay. There was an inbound flight that needed to use our runway to make an emergency landing and our plane was 5th in line for take off. We hit a bit of turbulence on the way home, but it didn't bother me. However, it bothered Lei Lei quite a bit. Poor thing doesn't fly well at all. Luckily, I zonked out so I was spared the death grip she applied to my wrist on our departure from New Orleans. We arrived home exhausted, but happy. All in all, it was a great experience and only barely whetted my appetite for the Big Apple!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Sigh. Wish I could have been there with you so i could stalk some Broadway stars.

Lady Gwynyfwar said...

lol...you WOULD, too!