Saturday, September 06, 2008

Gustav...blah...

So, I really dislike hurricanes. They wreak such havoc. I can't complain this time around, though. We were luckier than with Katrina. It's almost like Russian roullette. You never know which part of the coast will be devastated or not. Also, even outlining cities more interior get hit badly. Like we did with Katrina. Baton Rouge got hit badly this time around. We lost large limbs from the pecan tree in our front yard. One landed 3 feet from my brother's bedroom window. Any closer and we'd have had to deal with a smashed window and a hole in our house. The Lord blessed us. We lost power Sunday 'til late Wednesday night.

Our family evacuated to McComb, MS, and stayed in the little chapel on Hwy 24. We didn't lose power 'til Tuesday night. It was a miserable night b/c we weren't able to open windows due to there being no screens on the church windows and we didn't want the mass of mosquitoes to get in and eat up the baby. You know how humid it gets with lots of rain, so that made sleeping all that more difficult. Plus, we slept in classrooms w/only the dividers so we could hear my dad snoring and my nephew crying b/c he was hot. Poor cher bebé. Luckily, we got power again at the church Wednesday night around 8pm. Our neighbor called us to let us know that we got power back around 9:30pm Wednesday. We packed up early Thursday and drove home. It was so nice to be back home. However, my brother and his wife and Lil Sis and her hubby didn't have power. So, the entire clan was camped out in our house. I gave up my room to my sis. I had to share a room with my parents. Not. Fun. They both snore loud enough to shake the walls.

Lil Sis got power back today, so they went home. I get my room back! Yay! I can't wait! I haven't slept well in a week. However, I can't complain because my family is all safe and my home was protected. We have running water and power again! Hallelujah!

Now, let's hope that Ike doesn't enter the Gulf of Mexico. I don't want to have to evacuate again, plus I don't have the money for it.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

So glad y'all are safe.